Wednesday 10 June 2009

2nd & 3rd Day at School


It seems like every day gets better and better at my school. I am starting to learn every one's names and feel more like part of the Icknield family instead of just a temporary intern. My classroom teacher, Mrs. Setchel is so much fun and keeps assuring me that I have chosen education as the right profession. Yesterday when she was driving me to my bus stop after school, she told me that good teachers learn how to be good teachers, but excellent teachers are born as excellent teachers and that I am excellent. I realize that I am still in school and have not experienced everything there is to offer, but it made me feel good to hear that from a 20 year veteran teacher.
The students are really starting to like me too (I am pretty sure at least). Today during lunch it was raining more than usual, so the students stayed inside instead of playing outside. A lot of the students used their time to draw me pictures. They are such nice children and are so thoughtful. One student drew me a picture of a dog because they know I have one. Another student, who is from Slovakia, drew me a picture of the USA Flag because he noticed that my flag has the same colors as his flag (he later drew me a picture of his flag to prove his point). The whole class even made me a book out of paper that they all signed. The title of the book was "WE <3 Mr. Morgan.

A lot of things are different here to, like spelling and meaning of words. One example is color, which is spelled colour here. They also call erasers 'rubbers', underwear are called 'pants', pants are called 'trousers' and much more. It was a little awkward when they asked me for a rubber on the first day, but I was warned in advance of this particular translation.

Another thing that the students do is change for Phys Ed in front of each other. Yesterday they were told to get the PE clothes and then they came inside and just started undressing in front of everyone. I asked if I needed to leave, but Mrs. Setchel said that it is common for school children to change in front of everyone, including the teachers. I am not sure if I will ever get used to this practice...

The biggest difference I see in the schools here is that they barely ever use text books. It is all learning by discovery and exploration. The classroom teacher not only teaches all the subjects, but is the PE teacher, Music Teacher, Swimming Coach, and everything else (besides the cricket coach, who comes on Tuesday to teach my class cricket). There is a lot of cricket played here, and the cricket coach is actually a professional player who plays in Swaston. It is in his contract to teach cricket at school during the week when he is not playing. I thought that was neat. So on Tuesday and Wednesday I have another man at the school with me!

I just really enjoy my school and everyone at Icknield. They truly put the students first and are completely focused on student creativity and learning. I look forward to the rest of my time there!

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. "Cheers!?! How provential...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a great time. Ram's excited about the Cricket player!! He said to learn the game so that you guys can play next time he sees you or at least watch a match! Miss ya lots!!

    ReplyDelete