Tuesday 9 June 2009

Trip to Cambridge


Saturday we woke up about 5am to catch our bus at 5:30. When we arrived at the airport, it was very different from the states. There were check-in kiosks in rows throughout the whole airport and automatic baggage belts that got your bag from my side of the counter to the other. We stopped at a Duty Free shoppe to get some souvenirs and then McKara & Tiffany left to board their plane about an hour before me. Although my flight changed terminals twice, we departed on time.

When I landed at London's Heathrow Airport I was a little worried about the passport check. McKara & Tiffany said they had some trouble getting into London a few days prior because they didn't have a student visa (we were told by our advisers we didn't need them). So I spent some time worrying about going through the checkpoint, only to realize that by time I got my luggage and walked through the airport, I was already out of the terminal and on my way for the bus terminal, no passport check was required. This was the case since I already had my passport checked in Ireland and since Ireland is part of the UK, I was good to go.

I quickly made my way to the bus terminal, thinking I had a 2 hour bus ride to Cambridge. Well, it was more like 3 & 1/2 hours... which was not what our trip coordinators had said...

Anyways, when I arrived in Cambridge I made my way to our Bed & Breakfast, the Warkworth House. Luckily it was only about 100 feet away from where the charter bus dropped me off! I was greeted at the door by Jennifer, one of our trip advisers who showed me to my room on the second floor. She told me that McKara & Tiffany were the first students to arrive and they reserved me the nicest single bedroom in the whole house. When I got to the door, I saw a note from the both of them which said "In Greg we Trust". They adopted this slogan in Ireland because I was the only one who ever knew where we were going and how to get home. I was also like a body guard for them for the whole trip.

Anyways, my bedroom really is the nicest room in the whole house. I know this because everyone in the house came by on Saturday to gawk at how lucky I was. It has a queen size bed, a flat screen TV, beautiful furniture and a larger bathroom. I realize how lucky I am compared to some other people's rooms that are half the size.

I met McKara & Tiffany at a pub around the corner for lunch. (It didn't take them long to find food or beer!) It may have been the best tuna sandwich I had in a while.

The three of us (Surprise) went for a walk around town to familiarize ourselves with the local sites and then I unpacked and settled in. All of the students on the trip, our advisers and our advisers family all went out for dinner at a restaurant that was half dance club and half TGI Friday's. The food was good and we all had some drinks. Then we all split up and about 7 of us decided to go to a local pub by our house while everyone else went for a walk on the river. We had a good night bonding and enjoying the local beverages until about 11. We all took the 2 minute walk around the corner and I gave Megan a call to chat & catch up. Then I had about a 15 minute conversation with Jennifer (advisor) and her husband about education and how happy I was to be here. Jennifer & her husband are really nice and they brought their two girls along for the trip. The girls actually attend Tiffany's primary schools during the day, which I think is splendid (1st & 4th Grades I think).

Then I went inside, talked with the girls and went to bed. It was a great first day in Cambridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment